According to BBC, a temporary ceasefire in Sudan has been reached as fighting between two warring groups enters its sixth week.
Previous cease-fire attempts between Sudan’s regular army and the paramilitary rapid support forces have failed to materialize within minutes of starting.
According to an us-Saudi statement, the new deal will be followed by a “ceasefire monitoring system.
” Sudanese officials have agreed to restore basic services as part of the seven-day humanitarian ceasefire. Since the conflict began last month, the region has been in havoc, with more than a million people being displaced.
Food, water, and essentials stocks have rapidly declined, and aid organizations have consistently stated that they are unable to provide adequate assistance in Sudan’s capital, Khartoum, where much of the violence has occurred.
Both the regular army and the rsf have been urged to allow the distribution of humanitarian aid, restore basic services, and withdraw forces.
The United States and Saudi Arabia, who sponsored the peace talks in Jeddah, said the ceasefire would come into effect on Monday evening.
In a statement, the US State Department acknowledged previous failed attempts at brokering peace in Sudan but said there was a key difference this time.