Google has promised to cooperate with India’s competition authority after the country’s top court upheld an antitrust order forcing the United States firm to change how it markets its popular Android platform.
Google was fined $161m and told to remove restrictions on device makers, including those related to the pre-installation of apps and ensuring the exclusivity of its search by the Competition Commission of India(CCI) in October since it exploited its dominant position in Android.
On Thursday, Google was given one week to comply after it lost a challenge to the supreme court to block the directive.
In a statement released by Google, a Google spokesman said that they remained committed to their users and partners and will cooperate with CCI on the way forward.
According to Google, it will continue to pursue its legal challenge to the Android decision while they review the details of yesterday’s ruling which is limited to interim relief and did not decide the merits of its appeal.
The lower tribunal where Google challenged the Android directive will continue to hear google’s case and must rule by match 31 according to India’s highest court.
India has 600 million smartphones and about 97% run on Android with the remaining 3% taken by Apple according to Counterpoint Research estimates.